Our View: Don’t Fire Boyles

May 31, 2013
By
Boyles should keep his job (credit KHOW Facebook page

Boyles should keep his job (KHOW Facebook page image)

Enough already KHOW.

It has been more than a week now since KHOW radio suspended loved and loathed talk radio bomb thrower Peter Boyles, following an altercation the populist shock jock had with a producer.

We don’t know what happened that day, but if the sum total of Boyles offense was, as Westword reports, pulling his producer’s lanyard, or grabbing his producer by the neck, we suggest it is time to levy a slap on the wrist (or the ass) and move on.

Boyles is an intentionally offensive bloke. Liberals hate him. Actually, many establishment Republicans do too. That sort of seems like his plan. But that doesn’t change the fact that Peter Boyles is an important figure in our local media and, short of some new and terrible development that no one is reporting, Boyles should keep his job.

If the facts approximate what local media outlets are reporting, KHOW executives should put a letter of censure in Boyle’s file, dock his pay for a week, prohibit him from hanging chesty girl calenders in his corporate office, and then get on with resuming our regularly scheduled morning program.

Unlike the raging liberal blowhard that KHOW recently fired, Boyles actually has an audience. KHOW better believe that that huge audience of listeners, even those like us who don’t always see eye to eye with Boyles crass commentary, will be hopping mad if he gets canned for the offense of scuffling with his producer.

Comments made by visitors are not representative of The Colorado Observer staff.

43 Responses to Our View: Don’t Fire Boyles

1. May 31, 2013 at 5:14 pm

dont fire this dude. he is fantastic. ive listened to him for years on various station. one night on KOA someone was bothering him on the phone during a night time show and at the end of his shift peter said all right you scum bag…lets meet in the parking lot down stairs. well i was working in Granada as security and I didnt get to hear the outcome but he showed up for work the next night so i guess it went all right. this man tells the truth and so do i. not like our screwed up government. thanks. jerry in lamar.

• Jeff
      June 3, 2013 at 5:29 pm

KHOW’s stupidity will be some savvy station’s gain. His audience/advertisers will follow.

• John Appelhans
        June 11, 2013 at 10:20 pm

The decision to fire Peter Boyles was corporate-led yes…Clear Channel v. KHOW? Unless there is way more to the lanyard-pulling story than reported, I have to believe that Clear Channel,A Global Media + Entertainment Company (very deep pockets), is more aligned to the BIGs – who Peter routinely takes on – than we the people. Maybe it was a convenient excuse to rid the old-boy collective of a bur in their saddle. Who knows? NOBODY is saying anything! What’s up with that? Suddenly, Pete and company are politically correct? Seems hypocritical to me. Love you Pete, but dude…get off your keester and let people know what’s going. We’ve supported YOU all these years.

2. sheron
    June 1, 2013 at 4:28 am

It sure hasn’t been the same this week without hearing Peter on the radio – something really big is missing. Truth and what’s really going on in our city, state & country. They’re still advertising “his” show, so I’m hopeful we’ll hear him on Monday. And we can only hope he still wants to be on the air again! BBB – Bring Back Boyles!

• Bonnie Carr
      June 27, 2013 at 12:15 pm

I’ve given up on the morning show, no Peter, no listen. Of course I’m just one person but I know one is just one more.

3. Dave
    June 1, 2013 at 3:17 pm

Question: What is KHOW without Boyles?
    Answer: Not much.

4. June 2, 2013 at 10:36 pm

withdraw my previous remarks: discussion was about Boyles not Bennet.
    I have listened to Boyles for over 20 years and agree with him, mostly: keep
    him … it holds the listeners for the advertisers, if nothing else.

5. June 3, 2013 at 7:22 am

Amen to the above comments. I was extremely disappointed to wake this morning to Dohn Caldera instead of Pete. This station is going to lose a lot of listeners if this continues.

6. David
    June 3, 2013 at 11:05 am

I’ve listened to Boyles for the better half of 7 years. Overall I like him. He’s good – when talking about local politics there is hardly anyone better at digging deep down into the dirt that the Denver Pest ignores as a matter of habit.

He was an absolute fool for getting into a physical confrontation w/the likes of KUSA and others present. Those outlets, which are generally left leaning, have a vested interest in seeing him taken out. Their report on the matter was calculated: by reporting it, they forced Clear Channel to respond.

Hopefully Boyles will be back soon, repent, and move on. We need him and others like him more than ever.

7. Luvanna
    June 3, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Stupid mistake by KHOW – One would think the Shiek (overated) would be the one to go – Hope Boyles gets a gig nationally. No longer a KHOW listener.

8. June 3, 2013 at 10:30 pm

Peter Boyles was the ONLY Talk Show Host who gave us: the REAL news, history, book reviews, guests, entertainment, controversy.

I cannot believe he would sacrifice his brilliant career & everything he has to offer and give to his audience, unless something is terribly wrong with him medically/psychologically.

He called Greg his “son my another mother” so many times!

I bet we never get to know the REAL TRUTH!!

Hope sponsors of KHOW/Clear Channel pull out!!

Hope Peter will end his silence!!

9. Rick
    June 4, 2013 at 6:51 am

Can anyone say “roid rage”. Boyles always talks about his use of testoserone on the air. That’s a steroid, and they do have harmful consequences. I always listen to Peter and will miss his show, but keep your hands off people tough guy.

10. Dave
    June 4, 2013 at 11:38 am

How can a radio station be so ignorant. KHOW will now drift into obscurity like the Denver Post and the Rocky Mountain News. I think most of the fans of Peter had agreements and disagreements with him. Peter however told it like he saw it.

No more KHOW for me. I think there is more to the story. Can you spell liberal politics.

11. tim
    June 4, 2013 at 1:54 pm

KHOW is wrong. Get Peter back. Tim

12. Marian Walsh Rusher
    June 4, 2013 at 2:20 pm

I heard this morning that Peter Boyles was no longer on KHOW. I had missed him for a week. I thought maybe he had gotten married as I believed he has a new girlfriend. But this! Absolutely astounding….Peter is smart and informative and the news and dirt on the leading prima donnas in Denver was great….Peter Boyle has principles and sticks up for the underdog…What an Irish American!!! I sincerely hope we will be hearing for him in the future…May God bless you Peter Boyles…Oh, by the way, I don’t intend to tune into KHOW anytime soon. I believe many of his followers feel that way also…

13. ;Phil Gotlin
    June 4, 2013 at 7:51 pm

I am shocked to hear Peter Boyles was fired. He has always been my home’s morning starting point at 5:03 AM. His knowledge of the past and present is unequalled by any other station. Please help us listeners and yourself by recognizing you made an error in judgment, and bring Peter Boyles back to his program. I know you will find yourself the winner.

14. M A Steiner
    June 4, 2013 at 9:29 pm

Well, the man has gone. Hopefully another station will pick him up sooner than later after a brief rest from the sudden KHOW stand-down. If not, Denver media whether the Post, TV or radio will be run mostly by – you guessed it – Monkey-Butts!

15. Ironhorse
    June 4, 2013 at 11:55 pm

I’ve listened to KHOW because of Peter’s intellect and willingness to dig for the actual facts for years, I now tune in to hear if Pete is back yet. Pete is informative and while I would at times yell in disagreement, he would separate the political propaganda guano to relate to us listeners the factual facts. No Pete at KHOW, I’ll just follow where the advertisers are, Peter will most likely be there..

16. Katie
    June 5, 2013 at 3:23 pm

You lost me and my husband.

17. Tom
    June 6, 2013 at 10:59 am

Whatever happened to shaking hands, making up, and moving on. Clear Channel blew it. Peter was the guy you loved to hate, but he was the best thing on KHOW. Now I listen to books on CD.

18. RogerR
    June 6, 2013 at 5:05 pm

What is KHOW without Boyles in the morning? I don’t know but now I only have one show to listen to (Tom Martino) on KHOW. Peter we know you are out there and I as one of your fans miss you. Find a station and come back sooner than later! Tomorrow morning would be great!

19. james
    June 10, 2013 at 7:34 pm

It’s a place of business. Violence in the work place is definitely an offense that can get you fired. You shouldn’t be so much disappointed at Clear Channel as much as you should feel as though Mr. Boyles let his fans down. His voice will be missed.

20. Ruth Smith
    June 11, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Boyles made the local political and media elites sweat. That is why Channel 9 folks ratted him out to the Clear Channel suits. They couldn’t wait to can him even though it will cost them 100000+ listeners a week.

He was a great local asset for we common folk, that’s why the elite felt he had to go.

21. ROSEMARY
    June 12, 2013 at 2:42 pm

HE HAS BEEN SILENCED FOR NOW, BUT I’LL BET IT IS NOT LONG BEFORE HE WILL COME OUT SWINGING!!

22. Karen KREUTZER
    June 13, 2013 at 9:32 am

The source of Pete’s firing lies higher up than Denver. He was the tip of a deeply important spear protecting the freedom and independence of Colorado. Make no mistake about the gravity and power of his clear political thinking and fearless delivery. Believe that he was/is irreplaceable. He was our Champion…..where is his?

23. Louise
    June 14, 2013 at 3:32 am

I went on line this week from Germany to hear what Peter had to say. After listening to his replacement, I thought what is going on here? Totally disappointed to see that he was fired. What a loss to the Denver community!!!

24. Gerry
    June 14, 2013 at 2:07 pm

I like Peter. He reminds me of all those Reagan Dems from PA, his original home and mine. It’s tough for them to go Republican, yet their moral positions on hard work, abortion, etc. turn them off the modern Marxist Democrats. He’s always worth an exciting hour or two every a.m. Also, I’m interested in knowing whether perhaps Peter’s many interviews with such courageous anti-jihadist patriots as Pamela Gellar, Robert Spencer and Jerry Corso may have led to his canning. CAIR, local imams and liberals have coordinated in the past to remove media people who discuss the darker side of Islam. They got Chris Plante fired from WMAL Washington D.C. Chris is back again after about a year’s absence, and is more popular than ever. He appears on FOX TV a lot. I say, bring Peter back. He’s by far one of Denver’s best radio guys.

25. George
    June 18, 2013 at 8:27 am

Wether it was 9 news ratting out Peter to get even with him, or the sheik pushing the issue to further his career, or both, the bottom line is this: khow has become unlistenable since Peter’s departure. The idiotic female that they had on this morning was by far the worst radio I’ve ever listened to in my lifetime. The problem is that clear channel has a fairly firm monopolization of the airwaves. If Peter could ( or wants to) find someone to pick him up, the show would be an instant success

26. June 18, 2013 at 1:01 pm

George, I agree with you 100%. I actually turned my radio OFF within a few minutes of that screachy-made-my-ears-hurt-numbnut that was on this morning. Heidi go away!

I get that workplace violence is a huge topic, but don’t know that Peter’s offense was severe enough to warrant firing. Not worth tuning in to KHOW anymore.

Peter, find a new home on the airways, I’ll follow you anywhere….

27. Harry
    June 19, 2013 at 4:00 pm

I didn’t always agree with Peter’s position but marveled at his depth of knowledge in so many areas. Since his departure I’ve been searching for another talk radio host anywhere in the country and can’t find a single one. KHOW is not worth listening to anymore. I hope Peter returns to some other station with an internet presence so I have a reason to get up at 5 am !

28. Dena
    June 19, 2013 at 4:01 pm

I am really missing Peter’s show. I am skeptical that his views on this current administration may have had something to do with his ousting. I hope that some savvy morning show picks him up soon as I have been an on and off listener for 30 years. While I may not always agree with him on all the issues, he is certainly thought provoking. I like that he is well read and versed on the subjects, as well as a student of history. Enough of this nonsense that they are putting on the air in his place. It is really insulting. I assume that this is just more dumbing down of the American public.

29. Ed
    June 20, 2013 at 3:52 pm

Our household do miss Mr. Boyles on the AM air. It has not been the same. He challenged important topics including Denver and Colorado issues. Hopefully what happened was not too serious that he cant get another radio local show if he wanted. Temporary AM replacements: Kaminsky pretty good, Caldara good for a few days best in evening, Ms Heidi good for one day, she is just too high pitch and fast talker for some morning listeners.

30. Sam
    June 20, 2013 at 10:09 pm

I hope the KHOW suits (and more importantly their advertisers) read this. I don’t switch radio stations back and forth. Since I no longer listen in the morning (not since that fingernails-on-a-blackboard voice came on Monday morning) but I don’t bother to turn back to hear the barely tolerable Brownie in the afternoon. Buh-bye KHOW. Buh-bye advertizers.

31. John Aragon
    June 21, 2013 at 6:44 am

Get Peter Boyle back. Firing for a little scuffle, give me a break. General Patton was fired when he slapped a soldier with his glove but they knew how bad they needed him, could not be replaced and brought him back to win. You stupid jerks, people fight once in a while, get over it……JJA

32. Gina
    June 21, 2013 at 7:56 am

Shirl and Shephard??? Really? This is awful-shiek just keeps trying and it doesn’t work!!! Martino should leave as KHOW is dying,

33. June 21, 2013 at 9:33 am

What is going on at KHOW? I turned the radio on briefly this morning to see if perhaps, they had wised up and brought Peter back. To my surprise, that creep Hollenback was broadcasting. Are you serious KHOW? I’d rather sit and watch paint dry, than to listen to Hollenback. That boy is way to big for his britches. No wonder Peter grabbed him around the neck. Too bad he didn’t grab a little harder. Could this have been Hollenback’s game plan all along? GOOD-BYE KHOW.

34. Gerry
    June 21, 2013 at 1:44 pm

I listened to Peter daily since I arrived in Denver 11 months ago. I listened to Hollenback for eleven minutes. He was so bad that I hit “Snooze” and went back to sleep. Later, I adjusted my radio dial and will never turn it to KHOW in the a.m. as long as these lightweights flail at Talk Radio. Forget it! Peter is a real pro. Bring him back.

35. Kyle
    June 21, 2013 at 5:58 pm

Couldn’t agree more with many of the previous statements. Unbelievable though, references to Sheik backstabbing. Nah, they worked together way too long, and I’m sure they’ve been guilty of “Horse-play” before, And at the station. This monkeybutt household has moved on from KHOW too. The a.m’s empty. Pete? Hello?

36. Hal
    June 21, 2013 at 9:19 pm

K Who?

37. marvin murphy
    June 23, 2013 at 11:20 am

I was shocked.

Sad for khow audiance.

38. Tom
    June 27, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Channel 9 just announced on tonights news (Thursday June 27) that Peter Boyles is coming back to Denver radio starting Monday July 1! He will be on AM 710 KNUS in the same time slot he was on that other station (what was their name again???…KWHO?)

They had this annoying voiced, rapidly yakking woman in Peter’s old time slot this morning. Her name was Mandy something, I couldn’t catch her last name she talked so fast. About her third opening sentence at 5:03 AM when she signed on was something to the effect of “..despise me? Well come back Monday cause I here for two days”. I chuckled and hit the off button.

39. Craig
    June 30, 2013 at 9:40 pm

If Tom’s post above is correct that’s terrific news!

The KHOW morning show has been unbearable. The substitute hosts, broadcasting from Tennessee or Texas, then pretending they were knowledgeable about local issues, with a “shock jock” presentation. They were/are so transparent. a total joke.

KHOW has made a boneheaded move regardless of the real driver. If it was to save money, they will lose far more than the incremental savings on salary. Advertisers will leave. If it was on the new “politically correct” principle, by the station manager, well, he’s a buffoon. As was stated above have the two men shake hands and move on.

If Greg Hollenback thinks it’s a door opening for him and a great career believe me, he doesn’t have it. I’ve tried listening to him when Peter was gracious enough to let him have the reins. It’s a no go. I have to turn his whining voice off. Not everyone can sing, and not everyone can do radio.

Good luck Peter I’m looking forward to it!

40. Bill
    August 14, 2013 at 3:07 pm

Peter is what this nation is about,,, guts integrity and spirit

Comments